Invisalign Patient Instructions
We invite you to read instructions and information about Invisalign Care. Please call our office if you have any further questions: Plano Office Phone Number (972) 381-1888 in Plano or Flower Mound Office Phone Number (972) 355-2273 in Flower Mound.
How and When to Wear
- Invisalign only works when you are wearing them. We recommend you wear your aligners full-time, day and night (at least 22 hours per day).
- The only time the aligners should be out of your mouth is when you are eating/ drinking, brushing/ flossing, or cleaning them. You do not need to remove aligners to drink cool water.
- Wear each aligner for amount of time directed by the doctor. It is very important that you never go to the next aligner in less than the directed time. Even though it may seem that the current aligner is loose and no longer moving your teeth, it may take longer for the roots to catch up with the crown of the tooth.
- If you miss some days for any reason, pick up where you left off and wear the aligners for a full 10 day MINIMUM. Call the office to let us know: Plano Office Phone Number (972) 381-1888 in Plano or Flower Mound Office Phone Number (972) 355-2273 in Flower Mound.
Insertion and Removal
- When inserting, gently push the aligners over your front teeth. Then, apply pressure to the tops of the left and right molars until they snap into place.
- Make sure each aligner is ALL THE WAY DOWN and fully seated. Put pressure around each attachment to ENGAGE it. You should not see any space between the edge of the tooth and the edge of the aligner. If the aligner is not fully in place, the teeth will not move properly, and the next aligner will be even further off.
- To remove the aligners, pull off equally on both sides of the back teeth first, and then gently lift off the front teeth. Always rinse the aligners in cold water and store in the proper container. To prevent damage, avoid unnecessary removal. Do NOT use sharp objects to remove your aligners.
- Always place the aligners in the cases provided. Never place aligners in napkins or any other case. Never place in a pocket that can be sat on. Store in a cool, dry place.
- NEVER discard any old aligners. Always bring your last set of aligners to your orthodontic visit.
- If you lose an aligner, call your doctor right away and wear the previous aligner if available.
- There will be a charge for damaged or lost aligners.
Care of Aligners
- Clean your aligners prior to each insertion. Use a soft bristle toothbrush and a small amount of toothpaste to remove debris. Rinse under running water and brush until clean.
- NEVER use denture cleaner or mouthwash or soak in alcohol or bleach, as they will be damaged.
- Do not place aligners in boiling or hot water to clean, as they will be damaged.
- Keep aligners out of reach of young children and pets.
- Oral Hygiene: Brush and floss normally with the aligners out. Try to brush after eating and before re-inserting aligners.
- Large food particles may prevent proper insertion.
- Eating: There are no food restrictions with Invisalign. However, aligners must ALWAYS be removed when eating.
- Drinking: Except for cold or room temperature water, always remove aligners while drinking anything. Any fluid will get inside the aligner and be held against your teeth possibly for hours and can cause staining or damage the teeth and aligners.
- Chewing Gum: Do NOT chew gum while wearing aligners.
- Smoking: It is advised NOT to smoke while wearing the aligners. It will stain the aligners and teeth.
- If a composite attachment (bump) breaks off on its own, it may need to be replaced (re-bonded) depending on how far along you are in treatment. Please call the office: Plano Office Phone Number (972) 381-1888 in Plano or Flower Mound Office Phone Number (972) 355-2273 in Flower Mound.
- Most people experience tooth soreness for a few days after starting each new aligner. This is normal. It is a sign that the aligners are working. Soreness should gradually go away a couple days, if it does not call your doctor: Plano Office Phone Number (972) 381-1888 in Plano or Flower Mound Office Phone Number (972) 355-2273 in Flower Mound.
- Aligners should feel “loose and comfortable” before moving on to the next aligner.
- The aligners may temporarily affect your speech, and you may have a slight lisp for a day or two. As your tongue gets use to having the aligners this will improve and should disappear.
- Failure to wear the appliances for the prescribed number of hours per day and/or not using the product directed by your doctor can lengthen the treatment time and affect the ability to achieve the desired results.
- Tooth decay, periodontal disease, and permanent markings from stains and decalcification may occur if patients do not brush and floss their teeth properly during treatment or if they consume foods or beverages containing sugar while wearing aligners.
- The bite may change throughout the course of treatment and may result in temporary patient discomfort.
- At the end of treatment, the bite may require adjustment by the doctor.
- Temporary increase in salivation or dryness of mouth may occur.
- If you have any trouble with your treatment, please call the office: Plano Office Phone Number (972) 381-1888 in Plano or Flower Mound Office Phone Number (972) 355-2273 in Flower Mound.